Wednesday 18 August 2010

The chairman of Centrum.


Warsaw street musicians are not abundant in my opinion, but they are special. There are a few that have their usual spots- for instance there is an old men group who play old polish tunes and they are usually on Nowy swiat street where there are a bunch of tourists , also there is the guy who sits facing the palace who plays the tuba,and he blows fire from the top of its hole, yet none of them are as special as the "chairman" who plays percussion on the main centrum exit of the metro line. The reason this dude is special ,I think, is not because he does not really make any real percussion, or because he does not seem to enjoy what he is doing, but for the very fact that he is constantly coming up with new broken chairs.Why is that special? well I think it's an original kind of recycling, but also a decent way to earn money for someone who I assume is not a musician ( I mean really the guy does not make beats that make you groove). But let me explain for those who never been to Warsaw about this dude. This is a man who so far has not missed a day standing there beating the chair in front of him making some kind of noise to attract people. He is there for hours just beating on the chair. Man it cracks me up. Not that I intend to make fun of this man, it's just that the simple idea of that chair makes it funny. Imagine that this guy keeps beating on a chair until it brakes, because he then gets a new chair from who knows where. So the special part for me is that a chair that's been dumped is no longer an object used and thrown away. It has become a part of the act performed by this man. The chair then is abused by the man's arms for hours before it being replaced by another one. I am not sure why I find this so fascinating, maybe because I once saw a man in New York beating on some plastic pots, and containers, and this guy made amazing music. I mean there are musicians who can make nice sounds out of everything, but our dear chairman's redeemable value in my opinion is that he brings, without intention I assume, an irony to the meaning of a chair. I elect him the chairman of centrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment